Wednesday, August 19, 2009

[Update] Doctor, Doctor!

Goodday all.

I've spent the last week or so trying to get something completed. Namely the "Waraimeshi's Hero Show" episode. However while trying to translate it, I found myself just not being able to get through it. This is probably due to the amount of times I had to watch it while I was struggling through my software setup. I'm pretty sure I wound up watching the episode 10-15 times while trying to get both video, audio and the subtitles to work right. I wound up getting maybe 15-20% of the way into it before I just couldn't go on anymore. (Yes, that's only about 5 minutes) I just couldn't even watch it again. Maybe it just really isn't as epic as I thought I was when I put it on the forecast.

So I put on my imaginary doctor's outfit and tried to figure out why I can't get through it. The diagnosis: a minor case of Gaki Burnout! *Dun dun DUNNN!*

Okay, it's not just Gaki Burnout. It's life burnout.

{Beginning of long, boring story/excuse, which you can hit the "Read More!" button if you want to read}

This entire Spring and Summer, I'd been working an internship with a company, and near the end was told that I'd have to train an international team over in India as one of the projects I was working on was moved over there for maintenance. So, I'd been scrambling frantically, trying to create lesson plans and make sure that I explain everything clearly in the 2 hours a day where we can hold teleconferences together with them. So that's been quite the time-consumer and mind-wracker.

Some of you may remember that I mentioned a Japanese exchange student moving in down the hall from me. Well, at the end of Summer, they had to move everyone into different buildings for the new year so they can let new incoming students have spots in the dorms. Well, the exchange student wasn't assigned a new housing assignment. So they started sending him a long chain of correspondence containing an absurd amount words that were too long for him to understand when they just could have said "Go to building A on date B and talk to C." Not understanding what the letters said, he came over to my room, handed me the letter and said "Does this mean I will be homeless?" My person-in-need sensors, which I have a hard time ignoring, went off and I offered to help him sort out whether he would be without place of residence. Luckily it didn't, but it said that he had to go talk to all sorts of staff and faculty and take papers around to each one. So, I had to accompany him to quite a few of these meetings with faculty to serve as a horrible translator. (When I started learning Japanese, I thought that one day I might want to be a translator. At the moment, this experience has convinced me that I probably don't.)

After all that he was placed in a university-owned building off-campus about 4 miles away, much to his disliking as he would have rather stayed on-campus and doesn't have a car. However, luckily for him, I got assigned to the same building, so we spent Saturday packing, and Sunday renting a moving van to get to where we needed to go. Then I spent Monday on a flights back to my hometown for two weeks before classes start again, and then spent Tuesday unpacking and adjusting to jet-lag.

On the plane ride and downtime at the airport, I skipped ahead to the next video on the list "Matsumoto and Eri, II". I actually managed to start subbing it and am already nearly halfway through it. It looks like my Gaki Burnout was caused a lot by stress of just having to get through that lame episode.

{end of long, boring story/excuse}

So, due to some upcoming free time, I'm going to sub videos that come "naturally" to me instead of forcing through the ones that I no longer care for. I will probably also get around to putting up the manzai talk segments that I always say I'm going to put up but never have. You know, my usual "I'm going to wait until I put up the talk before I rate the episode" or my "I'll put up the talk portion soon" crap. Yeah, I'll get those up when I can.

However due to limited, slow, internet access where I'm at, these postings probably won't be on the "Wednesday-Sunday" schedule that I try to achieve. They'll probably go up whenever I get the time to hop over to the local coffee shop and bum off of their wireless for a while. Here's hoping I can shake off this case of GB! This is either going to help it or just make it worse. Anyways, thanks for reading and see you soon!

~David

16 comments:

  1. Hi David, hope that you'll manage to find some time for yourself ! Don't put too much pressure on yourself for the Gaki vids, as we are all very grateful( well at least I ) for everything you've done so far. Ganbatte ne !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with Anonymous. Just sub when you really feel like it. Hope you manage to get rid of stress, David. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you've had quite an ordeal David, hope you feel better soon! (when I'm stressed, I like to blow bubbles, yes it sounds childish but hey, if it helps it helps!)

    And although I'm just itching for some Gaki episodes, take your time!!! You're like my new Gaki hero XD

    ReplyDelete
  4. feel better! Take your time and sub when it suits you. I transribed the 24 hour tag episode and just finished it up today. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XS1XDH6I

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey D, I appreciate all the hard work that you put into subbing these videos. Don't overwork yourself and burn out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you are the only source of understandable new Gaki vids that some of us have left. Hopefully you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where art thou david? :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. we miss you david (^_^)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just want to say:
    Your translation efforts are very appreciated, it helps us who dont understand japanese well enough to actually enjoy these videos. Take a break for your burnout, its not your duty to sub these

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeh, Black you are the greatest thing when it comes to Gaki no Tsukai getting translated. <3 thank you for all your hard work dude, we all really appreciate it, and definitely take your time and do what comes naturally to you, we will all still cheer and support you kind sir!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think he's gone guys. Was goood while it lasted :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Come back, Black Gaki!

    ReplyDelete
  13. After all the work you've done, maybe you could release the srt's to d-addicts?

    I think it would be good to ensure the work you did stays alive. and would be great to sync with the higher quality rips.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i didnt realise gaki burnout would last so long

    ReplyDelete