Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Poll Results and Update!

Your votes have been cast, and we've found a winner for your favorite recurring episode theme! (Well, kinda. Not all the recurring themes were listed, and I'm pretty sure the real fan favorite would be the big New Year Batsu games.)

The results were surprising, to me at least, and I'll talk more about them after the jump, but first I'll talk about the updates! Whoo! Updating!
  • Posted this week's BBB, Bondage Angels, and last Sunday's episode that I forgot to post up, Kiki Nattou. Sorry about the neglect. Poor blog. *pets blogs softly to assuage the deep emotional scars*

  • Fixed my "Heya to Y-shatsu to Watashi" translation in my Everyone has a Song!" post to be more. . . um. . . translated. "Y-shirts" isn't actually a real word. It's more of a slang term or abbreviation for "white shirts". The "whi" part of "white" sounds like the letter "Y". So, I've changed that part of the translation, since that may not be common knowledge. Yeah.

  • Answered some neglected comments and did some clean up on the General Request Post.

  • Cleaned up the "Labels" section of the blog by removing labels for individual Gottsu Ee Kanji players. At least for now. I may add them back once they get some more substantial articles about them written here.

  • Fixed the subtitles and review for Ice Coffee Limit Check YET AGAIN to correct a misspelling of Vivian Hsu's name. It's correctly romanized as "Hsu", and not "Su" like I had it.

  • Got off my butt once again to actually create a review for the Ittsuji Shopping! episode.


Without further adieu, Ill get down to the result of the poll and my general reaction.

So over 200 people voted, and the results are in!

Your favorite recurring episode theme is: The Absolutely Tasty Series!

Here's a full list of the results and their vote count:

1.) Absolutely Tasty Series - 105 votes (47%)
2.) Matusmoto's Challenge - 83 votes (37%)
3.) Matsumoto Team vs Hamada Team - 67 votes (30%)
4.) Kiki series - 65 votes (29%)
5.) Shichihenge - 59 votes (26%)
6.) Cosplay Bus Tours - 47 votes (21%)
7.) Heipo's Dates - 38 votes (17%)
8.) Gaki Team vs Tennensouzai Team - 36 votes (16%)
9.) Genkai Series - 35 votes (15%)
10.) Itao's interruptions - 34 votes (14%)
11.) Goodbye, Yamazaki! series - 29 votes (13%)
12.) Regular Cast Member Auditions - 25 votes (11%)
13.) Yamazaki Vs. Moriman series - 21 votes (9%)
14.) Suga's Nostalgia series - 19 votes (8%)
15.) High Tension Series - 18 votes (8%)
16.) Yamaquest - 11 votes (5%)
17.) Member Chases - 7 votes (3%)
17.) Fishing Competitions - 7 votes (3%)
19.) Celebrity Baseball - 6 votes (2%)
20.) Picadilly Umeda series - 4 votes (1%)


I was fairly surprised at some of the results, but for the most part, I think there's not a lot to be shocked at here. The five I thought would make up the top five were the "Matsumoto Team vs Hamada Team", "Gaki Team vs Tennensouzai Team", "Shichihenge", "Yamazaki Vs. Moriman series" and the "Kiki series", since they are what brought Gaki to widespread internet fame. I was right on three of them, and ones I was wrong about weren't too bad.

Another bright spot, was the relatively low ranking of Yamaquest. At least I know that you guys don't see the something pertaining to Yamazaki and jump all over it. Although, I will admit that I do like these episodes. Although they are branded with Yamazaki's name, there's very little Yamazaki in them. "Try new Diet Gaki No Tsukai - Now with less Yama-chan!"

As far as surprises go, the biggest for me was the difference between the "Matsumoto Team vs Hamada Team" and "Gaki Team vs Tennensouzai Team" episodes in the poll. I mean, they are practically the same thing. They both use the same 10 people and they do pretty much similar evernts each time. The only real difference between the two is the arrangement of teams. I don't see what would be so different to make around 31 people vote for one but not the other.

Another mild surpise was. . . the winner. The Absolutely Tasty series? Really? I'm sure it belonged in the top half somewhere, but first place? What is it about it that makes it so good? I know it is pretty funny, I agree with that wholeheartedly. Watching them make foods that they know no one will ever want to eat and then having to choke it down themselves is hilarious. But I'd think things like "Yamazaki vs Moriman" or the "Cosplay Bus Tours" would be above it on the list. Is it because it's fairly easy to understand without subtitling?

As for the one in last place, Picadilly Umeda's shows, I would have thought it would have been above the absolutely boring episodes like the fishing and baseball episodes. Is it because you haven't seen an episode of it yet? Picadilly's really cool despite being really creepy when he takes his dentures out. He just walks up to ladies and starts fondling them. I think I've got an episode of Picadilly coming up on the list. I'd be interested in hearing your feelings and reactions after the episode goes up.

Overall, I might use this when preparing my episode plans. I wonder if some of these results are because of lack of exposure to some types of episodes. I might do this again later once I've had some of all of these episodes up. Other than that, if you'd like to enlighten me on your reasoning behind your choices, feel free. Thanks for participating in the poll and thanks for reading.

15 comments:

  1. Thanks again for your efforts! my votes were to "Tasty series", both "team VS", the kiki series and matsumoto's challenge.
    But what i like the most are, undoubtedly, the gottsu a kanji fragments you put up sometimes! :D
    those crack me up a lot. Friendly Being became one of my top 10 best comedy skits ever, i think.
    Anyway, thanks a lot again!! :D you're the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest, I voted for every option, even if it included Yamasaki. *Waits for a brick to be thrown at him*

    It's nice to see the Absolutely Tasty series getting the votes; They're either unsubbed, or raped with really bad quality subs on the 'tube, it's irritating because I'd really like to know what everyone's eating, it makes the show way more enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Felipe: Apparently the Tasty series is more popular than I guessed. I didn't think it would be that high up. I sorta feel the same way about the Friendly Being. Sure, it's funny, but I like many other Gottsu Ee Kanji skits more. Perhaps I'll share some of my favorites more often.

    Myso: I'd figured someone would vote for everything. *saves bricks for Yamazaki* I figured about 2 or 3 people did, since some of the completely boring episodes got 5-7 votes. Sure, the fishing competitions are fun in a subtle way, but they are largely BORING. 7 people voting for them is about 3 or 4 more people than I thought would vote for it.

    As far as the Absolutely Tasty series, I thought its success might be attributed to the release of the subtitles Taiyaki episode by Downtown Fansubs. I dunno.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think people voted skits they already had seen. that's the reason abolutely tasty won. However there's a lot of people who enjoy downtown stand up comedy, although cocorico and yamachan don't show in there. I would like David sub downtown stand up comedy in the BBB section.
    Greetings from Colombia!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just happened to catch the "fishing" series, and I agree with you David, it is a bore-fest. I don't know who's behind that series, but that needs to go.
    Anyhow, keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. shibatabread: After thinking about it, that whole series is probably their way of giving the Gaki members a "vacation" without missing out on a new episode. They are on every week and with little-to-no repeats.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My personal favourites are the Murakami Shoji Classroom series and the Picadilly Umeda series.
    I think the poor result for the Picadilly series must be due to it not being very well known.

    It's great to see someone subbing gaki episodes and sharing them with everyone, it must take a lot of hard work. Keep up the great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi David !

    I hope that everything's fine afk. We haven't heard from you in a while.

    You should check this user at Veoh.com/users/mutoatlan/groups
    He has an huge collection of Downtown vids, and his classification is really neat ! That could help you for the RAW's :)

    Keep up the awesome job !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous 1: Yes, Murakami's classes is one of my favorite series as well. In general, I like Shoji because he manages to be able to make people laugh on purpose and not on purpose, usually with his "stoicly distraught" look.

    Anonymous 2: Yes, everything's fine. I've been in the process of moving things, and ending an internship, but I'll blab about all that later. I'll hopefully be back on Sunday, and give you guys an update on the way things are looking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1. I like the absolutely tasty series not because its easier to understand. But it's funny and I like quaint things like cooking and such. I like the kiki series for the same reasons, its relaxing but funny and I want to see more of both the Tasty series and the Kiki series. I've seen a lot of the kiki ones unsubs but I've only seen 1 of them subbed (the one by you) and for the Tasty series I've only seen the Taiyaki one subbed...I want more.

    2. As for the Matsumoto team vs. Hamada team thing it seems to be more fun/funny than vs. the Tennensouzai team solely because its Hamada against Matsumoto rather than them being united, its like watching two rivals go at each other...even though we all know they're actually really good friends :P

    3. I like yamazaki >.> his facial expressions are enough to make me laugh, especially when he gets slapped XD.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey david check this out :) a lot of lolz
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlKKMRXxy30

    ReplyDelete
  12. otakumentality: I guess I can understand your reasoning for 1 and 2. And I guess I can understand your reasoning for number 3. The real reason I don't care for Yamazaki that much is because he's always trying to be in the spotlight, and is corny in the process about 80% of the time. It's the times when he's not trying that he's actually funny.

    Anonymous: What about it? It's the theme song from Yamazaki's old anime and game. I actually found the little pieces of the anime to be pretty funny. I'm not an all out Yamazaki hater, if that was what you're implying.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's true lol he does try too hard sometimes but in its own way I find that kind of funny too :P It's the kind of funny where Matsumoto or Hamada smack him on the head for coming out corny and thats how it ends up classic XD

    ReplyDelete
  14. Matsumoto's Challenge was my top pick, and I'm also a little surprised that the Absolute Tasty Series made it that high as well. But everyone loves food, and everyone loves watching people eat weird food, so I guess it makes sense. Plus The tasty challenges don't need a lot of subs either (but it does help :D)

    ReplyDelete
  15. David:
    But you sound like u really hate Yamazaki and You want yamazaki to be out of the show forever

    poor David

    ReplyDelete